Shamrock Stained Glass Cookies
These stained glass cookies are a unique and tasty treat to bring out the luck of clover. Making stained glass cookies may seem like they are super difficult to make but in actuality, are not at all. This blog post will go into detail about how to recreate these super cute and fun stained glass cookies with an extra treat for any candy lovers. Be sure to watch the recipe video that I created to show the overview of the recipe. You’ll enjoy making these stained glass cookies and I’m sure that you’re family will enjoy eating them as well. Mine sure did!
Peeps Easter Basket Cupcakes
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
1 (2 sticks) cup butter, softened
1 cup of sugar
½ teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Powdered sugar or flour, for rolling
Jolly Rancher hard candies, approximately one candy per cookie
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Whisk together dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, blend the butter and sugar until it becomes creamy and light. Add egg, almond extract, and vanilla extract. Mix well. Slowly add dry ingredients and mix until combined. Dough may be a little crumbly.
- Turn out the dough onto a surface sprinkled with powdered sugar or flour. Press into a ball and then roll out to ¼ inch thickness. Use cookie cutters to create shapes. Carefully lift shaped cookies to the baking sheet. Using a flat spatula is recommended to help the cookies maintain their shape.
- Separate Jolly Rancher hard candies by color and place inside a quart-sized freezer bag. Place all bags into a larger gallon-sized freezer bag. Sandwich the gallon-sized freezer bag between two towels and beat candies with the flat side of a meat mallet until crushed. Candy will pierce BOTH bags so be prepared.
- Scoop candy pieces into the cut opening of each cookie. The crushed candy should fill most of the hole and mound a little on top. Depending on the size of your opening, you will use the equivalent of approximately 1 candy for each cookie.
- Bake cookies for 7 to 9 minutes. Do not brown the cookies. Allow cookies to cool for at least 20 minutes on the baking sheet before carefully removing to a cooling rack.
- Store in an airtight container between layers of parchment paper to keep the candy from attaching to the candy in other cookies.
IMPORTANT: Do not crush the Jolly Rancher candies prior to use as they will adhere to one another and become a hardened mass of candy. Also, if the dough is rolled too thin, keeping the cookies together while moving them to a baking sheet will be very difficult. Using a flat cookie spatula will help but make sure the cookie dough is at least ¼ inch. Thicker cookies will require more crushed candy. A basting brush can help keep the tiny piece of candy inside the cookie opening.
Are you on Pinterest? So am I! Pin this below and follow me on Pinterest! Let’s be pinning buddies!
Here are a few Previous CakeWay Recipes that I have selected for you!