Easy Homemade Pie Crust Recipe
…you’ll never buy a storebought pie shell again!
Scratch Homemade Pie Crust Recipe
Today I am sharing an Easy Homemade Pie Crust Recipe that any home baker is sure to appreciate. This quick and easy 4-Ingredient Pie Crust Recipe is so easy to make, you’ll never buy a storebought pie shell again! The recipe below yields 1 9-inch pie crust but can be doubled to make a top and bottom crust. This particular recipe comes from the 1950’s edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.
…recipe comes from the 1950’s edition of the Betty Crocker Cookbook.
- 1 cup sifted flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup shortening
- 2 tbsp water
- Add sifted flour and salt into the mixing bowl and stir lightly to mix evenly.
- Hand mix or half of the shortening into the flour until it resembles coarse sand, this makes the dough tender.
- Hand mix the remaining shortening coarsely until the particles are the size of giant peas, this makes the dough flaky.
- Sprinkle with a tbsp of water at a time until the flour is moistened.
- At this point, the dough should be moistened enough to gather together into a ball until it cleans the bowl with no crumbs remaining.
- Roll it out into a ball.
Homemade pie crust can be used immediately, kept in the refrigerator wrapped tightly in plastic wrap for up to 3 days or kept in the freezer wrapped tightly in plastic wrap with an extra layer of aluminum foil for up to 3 months. When making this recipe, I prefer to use high-ratio shortening for a higher quality dough. I have found over the years that the quality of shortening matters! I haven’t found high-quality shortening anywhere in local stores. Here is my affiliate Amazon link that links directly to the shortening. High Ratio Shortening 3 lb.
Want more… Check out my previous recipes!
I recently shared a Cake In A Jar Recipe that is super easy and so personal. You can’t go wrong with serving this treat at your next event!
Another favorite is my Easy Peanut Butter Buttercream Recipe. This recipe was actually inspired by my nephew who is an AVID lover of all things peanut butter. If you have a relative that loves peanut butter, try this buttercream on your next cake and comment below to share!
Need a cake to spread the Peanut Butter Buttercream onto, try this Yummy Fluffy White Cake. I’m sure that this will be your favorite go-to white cake recipe. It is super moist, fluffy, and good. Bakery quality from your own oven!