Today I am sharing a chocolate chip sugar cookie recipe. This recipe is perfect for any chocolate chip lover, that also enjoys a perfectly flat sugar cookie. My base recipe is a No Chill No Spread Sugar Cookie adapted to add chocolate chips. These cookies are not the typical fluffy high rise cookies, these cookies are specifically designed to taste like chocolate chip cookies but are meant for decorating with royal icing. I have paired a classic royal icing vanilla for these cookies.
This is a perfect no chill no spread chocolate chip sugar cookie recipe, that is bake ready right away without the need for freezer prep or moving back and forth from the refrigerator.
This recipe will yield about 48 regular sized cookies, I do not recommend halving the recipe. The dough will stay fresh in the refrigerator for about a week or in the freezer for about three months. If frozen, let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator or if it is left in the frig overnight, let it sit at room temperature for an hour then roll and bake as usual.
Chocolate Chip Sugar Cookie Recipe
- 1 lb Unsalted Butter
- 3 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 TBSP Mexican Vanilla
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 5 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cups mini chocolate chips
- Let butter sit on the counter until it is just soft enough to leave an indent with your finger. Cream the butter and sugar in the mixer until the butter-sugar mixture turns white (approximately 10 minutes).
- Add eggs, flavorings, and salt in a separate bowl and combine the eggs one at a time until the mixture is well incorporated.
- Stir in the flour one cup at a time.
- Add 3 cups of flour into the mixer and hand knead the remaining flour on the counter.
- To do this, I rub a generous amount of shortening onto my clean countertop and pour the flour making a hole in the middle. In the middle of the flour ring, I place my dough from the mixer and incorporate the remaining flour.
- Incorporate the mini chocolate chips into the dough.
- Once all of the flour is incorporated, I separate the dough into two loaves. I usually bake one loaf now and either refrigerate or freeze the remaining dough, depending on how much I need at the moment.
One loaf will yield about two dozen regular sized cookies. To refrigerate or freeze, wrap the remaining dough in saran wrap, label, and place in either the refrigerator or freezer. The dough will remain fresh in the refrigerator for 1 week or in the freezer for 3 months.
Here’s a tip that I use each time I bake sugar cookies…
As soon as I remove my cookies from the oven, I use a fondant smoother to gently smooth or “iron” the cookies flat. This will create a nice smooth flat surface on which to decorate. The fondant smoother is linked to my affiliate account through Amazon.
The PDF of this recipe +frosting will available for your download.
The Cake Way is a participant in an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to products.
Here are some of my recommended supplies for this project:
My first recommended product for this project is this lovely Easter Name plaque. Just in time for Easter and completely customizable! Just providing the link just wouldn’t do it justice, so here is a picture of this lovely cookie cutter.
Girly Bunny Ears Cookie Cutter Plaque – Cookie Cutter by SweetPoshCookieCo – Periwinkles – Cookies – Easter Cookie Cutter – Bunny Cookie
Here is the corresponding boy cookie cutter.
Boy Bunny Ears Cookie Cutter Plaque – Cookie Cutter by SweetPoshCookieCo – Periwinkles – Cookies – Easter Cookie Cutter – Bunny Cookie
Here is a link to a Pico Pocket Projector. If you haven’t used this beauty, it is the perfect way to get names and other goodies onto your sugar cookies. I project a font onto the cookie and simply trace over it. I also use it to copy complex designs onto my cookies! Everyone loves customized anything, especially sugar cookies!
AAXA Technologies KP-101-01 AAXA LED Pico Micro Video Projector – Pocket Size Portable Mobile Mini Projector with mini-HDMI, built-in Media Player & Speakers, 3.5mm Aux Out, Micro SD/USB readers and 80 Min Lithium-Ion Battery